Please check the updated schedule below for changes to the schedule for discussions of the Divine Comedy. There will be no meetings on April 10 or April 17.
Ep. 8: Goodness part 1. MP3 (25 min) What is “the good” and how can we talk about it? Bobby Kinkela starts off this episode with the question: why are human infants created so helpless relative to other animals? We then move into a more general discussion about what goodness is from a philosophical perspective. This is part 1 of a 2-part podcast on goodness.
- · March 13, Inferno through Canto 16, the descent into hell
- · March 20 Inferno through Canto 34, the vision of Satan
- · March 27 Purgatorio through Canto 16
- · April 3 Purgatorio through Canto 33
- · April 10 No Class – Spring Break
- · April 17 No Class – Holy Thursday
- · April 24 Paradiso through Canto 16, meeting with Beatrice
- · May 1 Paradiso through Canto 33
- · May 8 Beatific Vision
Ep. 7: Beauty part 2. MP3 (25 min) This examination of beauty takes some theological insights into account and ask how can we teach beauty? We look to apply and understand St. Thomas Aquinas’ teaching about the criteria/standards of beauty: actuality, proportion, radiance and integrity. We also talk about the beauty of the Blessed Trinity. This is part 2 of a 2-part podcast on beauty.
Jan. 18, 2014 (MP3) Ep. 6: Beauty part 1. (25 min) This time we examine beauty from a mostly philosophical perspective. Why is beauty important? Is beauty purely subjective? What does St. Thomas Aquinas teach about the criteria/standards of beauty? We examine the standards of actuality, proportion, radiance and integrity. Touching briefly on what can we teach about beauty which will be taken up in episode 7, this is a two-part podcast on beauty.